Winnie Soon (HK/DK) BBA MA MSc PhD | E: firstname.lastname@example.org | W: www.siusoon.net
Winnie Soon is an artist-researcher who resides in both Hong Kong and Denmark. Her works engage with and reflect upon contemporary techno-culture, computational networks and processes.
Assistant Professor, Department of Digital Design and Information Studies, Aarhus University, DK.
Information Architect, A peer-reviewed journal about_, DK. http://www.aprja.net
2014-17 PhD Digital Design and Information Studies (Thesis title: Executing Liveness: An Examination of the Live Dimension of Code Inter-actions in Software (Art) Practice), Aarhus University.
2008-09 MSc Digital Art and Technology (Distinction), iDAT, University of Plymouth, UK.
2006-08 MA Media Cultures (Distinction), School of Creative Media, City University of Hong Kong.
2004-06 Diploma Graphic Communication, Hong Kong University SPACE.
1998-01 BBA Information Systems, Minor in Computing, City University of Hong Kong.
2017- Assistant Professor, Department of Digital Design and Information Studies, Aarhus University, Denmark
2016-17 Lecturer (PT), Department of Digital Design and Information Studies, Aarhus University, Denmark
2014-16 PhD Fellow in Participatory IT Research Center, Aarhus University, Denmark.
2012-14 Instructor (PT), City University of Hong Kong (SCOPE).
2011-14 Adjunct Professor, Dept of Interactive Design, Savannah College of Art and Design, HK
2010-11 Professor, Dept of Interactive Design, Savannah College of Art and Design, HK.
2010-12 Visiting lecturer:
University of Hull (2012), UK; Chinese Univerisity of Hong Kong, CUCSC (2011); International Education College (Wuhan, China) in collaboration with Australia Holmesglen Institute (2010); Wuhan University of Science & Engineering (Wuhan, China) in collaboration with Singapore Raffles Design Institute (2010).
BA/MA at Aarhus University (Denmark):
Digital Culture (2017), Aesthetic Programming (2014-2018), Exploring Cultural Big Data: Combining Arts, Ethnography and Data Anaytics (2017)
BFA/MFA at Savannah College of Art and Design (Hong Kong):
(Advanced) Survey of Computer Arts Application; Human-centered Interactive Design; Digital Design Aesthetics; Digital Page and Web Graphics; Graduate Teaching Internship; Information Design for dynamic media.
BSc in Business IT at City University of Hong Kong (SCOPE):
Advanced HCI & Usability; Final year Project Supervision.
BA at University of Hull (United Kingdom): Multimedia
Webpage and Multimedia Design (2011); Interactive Media Design (2010); User Interaction Design (2010); e-commerce Application (2010), Major Project (2010).
PAST AFFILIATIONS/ACADEMIC SERVICES
2017 Peer-Reviewer, Digital Creativity, Taylor & Francis.
2008-16 Co-founder, InNoPO, UK/HK.
2016 International Program Committee, ISEA 2016, Hong Kong.
2016 Program Committee, International Conferences on Live Interfaces 2016.
2016 Information Architect, Citizen Sense Project, Goldsmith, University of London, UK.
2014 Organizing committee, Transmediale conference/workshop in Hong Kong.
2014 Visiting Researcher, SCM, City University of Hong Kong.
2013 MFA thesis committee panel, Savannah College of Art and Design (HK).
- Soon, W., 2018 (forthcoming). ‘Executing Liveness.’ Leonardo, Vol.51, no.5.
- Soon, W & Pritchard, H., 2016. “If I wrote you a love letter would you write back? – and thousands of other questions“, in The Electronic Literature Collection, Volume 3. ISSN: 1932-2016. Web.
- Samson, A & Soon, W., 2015. ‘Network Affordances: Unpredictable parameters of a Hong Kong SPEED SHOW‘. Fibreculture Journal. Web.
- Soon, W., 2015. ‘Zombification: the living dead of spam‘. APRJA. Transmediale & Aarhus University, vol.4, no.1. Web.
- Soon. W., 2015. ‘Zombies as the living dead’ in Datafied Research: A Peer-Reviewed Newspaper, Christian Ulrik Andersen, Geoff Cox (eds.) Aarhus: Digital Aesthetics Research Center, Aarhus University, Berlin: reSource transmedial culture Berlin/transmediale. ISBN: 87-91810-26-4
- Soon, W., 2014. ‘Post-Digital approach: Rethinking digital liveness in “The Likes of Brother Cream Cat”‘. APRJA. Transmediale & Aarhus University, vol.3, no.1.
- Soon, W., 2014. ‘Post-Digital Liveness in Software’ in Post-Digital Research: A Peer-Reviewed Newspaper, Christian Ulrik Andersen, Geoff Cox (eds.) Aarhus: Digital Aesthetics Research Center, Aarhus University, Berlin: reSource transmedial culture Berlin/transmediale. ISBN: 87-91810-21-3
- Soon, W., 2014. ‘What is Media Archaeology?’. International Journal of Performance Arts and Digital Media, vol.10, no.1.
- Soon, W & Bevington, W.M. 2011, ‘Public Interface as an Art-Making Enabler’, Parsons Journal For Information Mapping, vol. 3, no. 4.
- Snodgrass et al., 2018 (forthcoming). “Executing Uncertainties” in Uncertain Archives.
- Samson et al., 2018 (forthcoming). “Execution” in Posthuman Glossary (R. Braidotti and M. Hlavajova eds), Bloomsbury Academic.
- Soon, W., 2017. ‘Executing Microtemporality’ in Executing Practices (E. Snodgrass, H. Pritchard and M. Tyzlik-Carver eds), Autonomedia.
- Soon, W., 2016. “Interfacing with questions: The unpredictability of live queries in the work of ‘Thousand Questions’. ICLI2016 Conference Proceedings.
- Chung, B, Pong, L & Soon, W., 2016. ‘Computer Programming Education and Creative Arts’. ISEA2016 Conference Proceedings.
- Soon, W., 2016. ‘Microtemporalities: At The Time of Loading-in-progress’. ISEA2016 Conference Proceedings.
- Soon, W., 2015. ‘Zombies in Spam Culture‘, in Tracing Data: What you see is not what we write Proceedings, pp. 86-94. Web.
- Soon, W., 2014. ‘Materiality of Code: Towards an understanding of socio-technical relations’. A Matter of Design: Making Society through Science and Technology. 5th STS Italia Conference Proceedings. pp.681-696
- Soon, W., 2018 (forthcoming). Executing queries as a form of artistic practice, Overwhelming Imagination: Achieving and Undermining Contradictions.
- Soon, W., 2017. A Report on the Feminist Coding Workshop in p5.js. Web.
- Pritchard, H & Soon, W., 2016. jsut code, Hong Kong: Videotage.
- Soon, W., 2016. “How to get the Mao experience through Internet…’, in Change Seed: Contemporary Art from Hong Kong and Beyond, Center on Contemporary Art., pp.62-63.
- Soon, W., 2015. How To [Manipulate] The Mao Experience Through Internet… Manipulations/Platform. Web.
- Soon, W., 2010, ‘Mortal Engine: Interactive fusion of Art and Technology.’ SHIFT. Web.
CONFERENCES, SEMINARS, PANELS, INVITED LECTURES/PRESENTATIONS
2018 Guest Speaker (Forthcoming), Computational Thinking, School of Creative Media, City University of HK
2017 Invited panel, net.art generator/generating discourse, Karlsrhe University of Arts and Design, Germany
2017 Presenter, Screen Shots: Critical Codes of Capture, RIXC ART SCIENCE FESTIVAL, Latvia
2017 Panel, The Purpose of the Future University, Aarhus University
2017 Guest Speaker, Why Code? Why Program? Why Create? Digital Living Research Commons, Aarhus University, DK
2017 Guest Speaker, Digital surveillance in China: From the Great Firewall to the social credit system, DataLAB, Aarhus University, DK
2016 Presenter, Overwhelming Imagination, Si Shang Art Museum Art Conference, Beijing, China
2016 Presenter, Live Interfaces 2016, Sussex, UK
2016 Panel + Presenter, ISEA2016, Hong Kong
2016 Presenter, Execution (ver 0.2), Malmo, Sweden
2016 Guest Speaker, Executing Queries, Language + Code, Aarhus University, DK
2015 Presenter + Workshop co-leader + Conference co-organizer, Execution (ver 0.1), Aarhus, DK
2015 Guest Speaker, Life and Death in Software, Digital Culture (master class), Aarhus University, DK
2015 Guest Speaker, Network materiality and temporality (master class), Hong Kong University
2015 Guest Speaker, Discussing Software thro the art of the Hong Kong Umbrella Movement. AU, DK.
2015 Presenter, Nonhuman Participation: a materialist perspective on execution. Aarhus University, DK.
2015 Panel, Transmediale Festival, Germany.
2014 Guest Speaker, Artist talk: From net art to software art. University of Warsar, Poland.
2014 Guest Speaker, Collaborative and Collective [Artistic] Research, AVA (master class), HKBU, HK
2014 Presenter, New Materialist Methodologies: Gender, Politics, The digital, Barcelona
2014 Guest Speaker, Net Art: Data Hacking, Coding and Critical Thinking. Videotage Summer Sch, HK.
2014 Presenter, A matter of Design STS conference. Milano, Italy
2014 Presenter, Urban Transformation, technology and participation symposium in Aarhus University, DK.
2014 Guest Speaker, Aesthetics Design. Aarhus University, Denmark
2013 Guest Speaker, Interdisciplinary Practice and Artist Collaboration, AVA (master class), HKBU, HK
2013 Speaker & Facilitator, UnDo Knowledge. JCCAC, Hong Kong
2013 Speaker, UnDo Facebook. K11 Art Mall, Hong Kong
2013 Artist /Speaker, Seminar on Network Art and everyday life. Taipei National University of the Arts
2012 Speaker, Workshop leader. Microwave International New Media Arts Festival, Hong Kong.
2012 Speaker, Artist Showcase Conference Future Everything, United Kingdom.
2012 Artist, Artist Forum. The 17th Incubator For Film and Visual Media in Asia.
2012 Invited Artist & Panel. Why we need the Arts, Lingnan Arts Festival.
2011 Moderator. Gaming & Living in an Alternate Reality, Social Media Week.
2011 Artist Forum. Computational Thinking In Various Art Forms. Writing Machine Collective.
2010 Invited Speaker, Interactive Design Seminar. This Happened, Hong Kong.
2010 Artist, Finalist Showcase Discussion. The 15th Independent Film & Video Awards.
2008 Artist, Finalist Showcase Discussion. The 13th Independent Film & Video Awards.
SELECTED EXHIBITIONS/PERFORMANCES for creative works
2017 Scripting the Other, The Wrong – New Digital Art Biennale, Online
2017 Falmouth Art Publishing Fair 2017, Falmouth, United Kingdom
2017 The Contemporary contemporary, ARoS Aarhus Art Museum, Denmark
2017 Executing Practices, Transmediale, Germany
2016 A DIY international and independent digital art biennale – #nfcdab 2, Wroclaw, Poland
2016 ISEA2016: No References: A Revisit of Hong Kong Video and Media Art from 1985, Hong Kong.
2016 *.exe (ver 0.2), Medea, Malmö University, Sweden
2015 ISEA2015: Disruption, Vancouver Art Gallery, Canada
2015 Artistic Research, Kunsthal Aarhus, Denmark
2015 Change Seed: Contemporary Art from Hong Kong and Beyond, Seattle Design Center, USA
2014 Tracing Data, Writing Machine Collective at Connecting Space, Hong Kong
2014 Tomorrowsixtyfour, Web Based art exhibition/online Public Gallery, Hong Kong
2014 Out Of Office. Arcade Cardiff Gallery, Wales/UK
2012 ENIGMA. Microwave International New Media Arts Festival, Hong Kong
2012 17th Incubator For Film and Visual Media in Asia, Hong Kong
2012 FutureEverything. MOSI, Manchester, United Kingdom
2012 Hong Kong Art Fair. Art East Island 2012, Pure Art Foundation, Hong Kong
2012 Pulse Art and Technology Festival. Savannah, USA
2012 Lingnan Arts Festival. Lingnan University Art Gallery, Hong Kong
2011 Computational Thinking in Existing Art Forms. Writing Machine Collective. Hong Kong
2010 This Happened. Club Pi, Hong Kong
2010 CAN NOT: Harmony of Internet Information. PhotoPark, Wuhan, China
2010 Media Art. A 3-Dimensional Perspective. TINT, Online, United Kingdom
2010 Independent Film and Video Awards, Hong Kong
2009 Performance, Cafe Concrete, Plymouth, United Kingdom
2009 Poestic. Charles Cross Church, Plymouth, United Kingdom
2009 Assemblage. Peninsula Arts Gallery, United Kingdom
2009 International Digital Art Festival. Bulgaria
2009 Retro Robot. Kube, United Kingdom
2009 SuperToys exhibition. Arnolfini, United Kingdom
2008 Independent Film and Video Awards, Hong Kong
2006 Happenings. PinkArt, Hong Kong Cultural Center
2006 Stuttgarter Filmwinter Festival for expanded media, Germany
2005 Mobile & DMB Festival, South Korea
2005 Art for Mobile Devices, Online
2005 Beloved Harmony. PinkArt, Hong Kong Cultural Center
2005 Living Art Expo 2004. Hong Kong
2017 net.art generator/generating discourse, ZKM | Center for Art and Media, Germany (in collaboration with Cornelia Sollfrank)
2017 Feminist Coding Workshop in p5js, Can Software be Feminist?, !=null
2013 UNDO Facebook Workshop, K11, Hong Kong
2017 Top-Ranked LABS Thesis Abstracts. Leonardo: The International Society for the Arts, Sciences and Technology
2012 Silver Award, Interactive Media Category. The 17th Incubator For Film & Visual Media in Asia, HK.
2012 Winning Team, 48 hours Midata Hackathon, Open Data Institute, London.
2010 Special Mention Prize, Interactive Media Category. Independent Short Film & Video Awards, HK.
2008 Finalist, Single-Screen based Interactive Category. Independent Short Film & Video Awards, HK.
SCHOLARSHIP, SPONSORSHIP, GRANT, COMMISSIONS
2016 Travel funds: Graduate Art School, Aarhus University.
2016 Book project funding: Executing Practices. Participatory IT, Aarhus University.
2015 Project Funding: Execution workshop/seminar. Aarhus University, Denmark.
2014-16 PhD Scholarship. Participatory IT, Aarhus University.
2013 Project Funding: UnDo Knowledge. Lingnan University, Hong Kong.
2013 Art Commission: The likes of Brother Cream Cat. Arnolfini, United Kingdom.
2012 Art Commission: Thousand Questions. Microwave International New Media Arts Festival.
2012 Art Commission: Emotive Expression. Lingnan University, Hong Kong.
2009 Project Sponsorship: VoxBox. GroundWorks: United Kingdom.
2008 Scholarship: Thomas Fowler for graduate study. University of Plymouth: UK.
ARTIST IN RESIDENCY
2013 Taipei National University of Arts, Taiwan.
2009 Center for contemporary art Tou Scene, Norway.
10/2017 Get to know your colleagues, Interview by Aarhus University
06/2016 Aarhus University in Denmark
02/2015 WP finanse and Polskie Radio in Poland
08/2014 Mr. Wolf online magazine, Interview
04/2014 BBC news, Interview
12/2013 CR2 (903), Radio Interview:《集雜志》訪問
12/2013 ARTTECH 科・藝派對
06/2013 CR2 (903), Radio Interview: 《集雜志》訪問
06/2013 RTHK, Radio Interview: 文化快訊
11/2012 Milk Magazine, Interview